Customized for customers of
Not your utility provider?
What makes CutMyBill better than other solar cost and savings calculators for TXU customers?
There are three key reasons that our TXU solar cost and bill savings calculator is far better than any other solar calculator or solar estimate website on the net for TXU customers;
- Firstly, whilst most solar panels calculators are really good at forecasting the electricity production you can get from installing solar panels for your home (because they all rely on the pwatts.nrel.gov solar production data) most of them just use a single generic state wide unit cost for electricity in their calculations. Our TXU solar cost and bill savings calculator actually uses our database of each of the available TXU electric rates plans to use more specific electricity cost data. Therefore we can generate much more accurate solar savings analysis.
- The second reason is that we use DOE (Department of Energy) electricity usage patterns for the TXU service territory, and some very basic questions we ask you about your home to estimate how you use power over the course of a day and the seasons of the year. This allows us to accurately forecast solar savings where time of use electricity plans are available to you. We estimate your electricity usage for each hour of the year and then overlay the known production of solar panels in your area for each hour of the year. Without this level of detail solar panel cost and savings calculators on are inaccurate; and
- Lastly, before we even consider solar savings, we look for any savings that can be achieved simply by swapping to a cheaper available TXU rate plan. Our software looks for any available TXU rates plan that works our cheaper for your estimated usage pattern. Generally speaking savings from swapping to a cheaper TXU rates plan are only available to those who have larger monthly electric bills but given it only takes a phone call to achieve these savings it is by far the quickest and easiest bill cutting option where it is possible.
Start your savings estimateCalculate
Will installing a solar power system or swapping rate plans save me the most on my monthly TXU payment?
There are almost always far greater cost savings to be obtained from installing solar panels than swapping rates plans but this doesn't mean possible savings from swapping rate plans should be ignored. The other reason we search for your cheapest rate plan is that to forecast total possible savings you could get on your bill you need to take into account both savings that may be available from swapping to the cheapest rate plan and also savings that come from swapping your generation source for some of your power usage to your own solar power.
Compare savings from swapping rate plans to solar savingsCalculate
How accurate is the CutMyBill estimate of my power usage pattern?
The CutMyBill electricity usage profile estimator is a key part of the technology of why CutMyBill can forecast solar and bill swapping savings so accurately without requiring you to enter your kilowatt hour electricity usage for each month of the year or to upload 12 months worth of power bills.
The way we do this is we use electricity use profiles collected by the Department of Energy for each building type at each weather station across the TXU service territory. Some of the characteristics of your home such as your average monthly power spend and the square footage of your home are used to refine this analysis.
This gives a fairly accurate estimate but it is not an exact estimate. The best way to get an exact estimate of your solar savings and whether or not there are possible savings from swapping rate plans is to speak to one of your local solar companies. Whilst solar companies are experts in solar they also become experts in knowing the cheapest rate plans (both before and after solar) from their local utility companies.
Estimate my power usage pattern over a day and over the seasons of the yearCalculate
Three best ways to cut your TXU electric bill
Did you know you can cut your home's energy bill by using flashlights instead of overhead lights? Did you know you can cut your energy bill by doing a home energy audit each hour?
Yes, those are silly questions. Fortunately, you don't need to sacrifice comfort to cut your energy bill by 20% or more. And it could be quick and easy to do.
We hope this article helps you make a solid game plan to cut your TXU energy bill. If you haven't already, we suggest you first read our article on how your energy bill works.
Can I get a lower power bill by swapping to a different TXU rate plan?
TXU offers a huge range of plans. Some offer free nights, others half the cost of power during summer and winter months and a few plans even give 3% cash back off annual power purchased.
Without knowing your exact usage it's hard to say what the cheapest plan is for a particular household. The rate plans are approved by the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) and plans are designed to work out roughly the same in terms of total costs for consumers with average consumption patterns.
To find the right plan requires collecting your detailed usage data for the last 12 months. This is known as Interval Data and sometimes also called Green Button Data. This data can be used to calculate which will be the best rate plan for you.
That being said, you can usually save between $0-$15 per month from swapping electricity rates.
How much can I lower my power bill through adopting energy efficiency measures?
Energy efficiency can be broken up into two categories; Installing new devices, and how you use the devices you have.
Installing new devices is easy. This can range from, installing energy efficient lights to swapping out that old fridge. Most people don't realize that a new fridge or washing machine could lower their electricity bill. New appliances are far more efficient than older models and as a result use less power.
Using your devices differently requires breaking habits, which is sometimes hard.
Although, when your conscious about the energy you're using it can be easy to save dollars off your power bill by; taking shorter showers, hanging clothes out to dry instead of using the dryer, setting the washing machine to cold and turning plugs off at the wall.
How much can you save by swapping your TXU rate planCalculate
How much can I lower my power bill through adopting energy efficiency measures?
As with swapping rate plans the amount you can save by adopting energy efficiency measures will vary greatly with the amount of energy you currently use. The bigger your current energy use the greater the scope for savings.
When I consider energy efficiency measures I like to break them up into:
- Energy efficiency measures that affect lifestyle; and
- Energy efficiency measures that don't affect lifestyle
What are energy efficiency measures that affect your lifestyle?
Obviously we can all make a conscious decision to use less energy but many of these measures will have a materially negative effect on your quality of life. We can sit in a hot living room in summer rather than turning on the air conditioner, we can hang our clothes outside to dry rather than using a clothes dryer.
However, with most energy bill analysis it is only possible to do a sensible estimate of possible savings from energy efficiency if we assume a constant.
How to calculate savings from energy efficiency measures?
The Department of Energy has developed a series of energy efficiency savings calculators that allow you to calculate the amount of money you could save broken down into the major categories of appliances that use power such as:
- Clothes washing and drying
- Food preparation and dish washing
You can use these calculators here.
These calculators can be used to calculate savings that can be achieved by using these devices less frequently (lifestyle changes) and also savings that can be achieved by using more efficient versions of each of these appliances.
Find more about TXU Energy electric rate plans.